Saturday, March 5, 2016

Steering mocked up, things are coming together

Made some cleats from rock maple (thanks to the Essex dump)
 Early attempts to mock up steering. Not happy with the way it fit together
 I know I talked about stick steering but really wanted the wheel to work
 Some shots of the finish with bright sunlight streaming in the window.
 I am so glad I did not grind it all off when it first appeared too dark.

 Another mockup of the wheel and steering
 The piece of wood acts in the place of a quadrant on the steering arm
 the wheel, the rope and the steering arm
 By moving the oar so only the handle is behind the wheel, I now have more room to set the wheel back a bit and I am beginning to like the look.
 The wheel is hidden on the left of he pic but you can see the two lines heading back to the double pulley on the left of the pic and the single pulley on the right.
 Another shot of the double pulley
 Ane one of the single
 Now I am faced with how in the world to mate this mess (below) with the boat—where to put it? Dismantle it and take the guts and put them next to the wheel?  Mount the whole assembly under the seat?  Not enough room for that I fear

 Poor old battle scarred decks finished with two coates of Minwax Helmsman over color varnish and stain.




No comments:

Post a Comment